How does mail command work in Linux?
Linux mail command is a command-line utility that allows us to send emails from the command line. It will be quite useful to send emails from the command line if we want to generate emails programmatically from shell scripts or web applications.
How do I email a file from Linux server?
4 Ways to Send Email Attachment from Linux Command Line
- Using mail Command. mail is part of the mailutils (On Debian) and mailx (On RedHat) package and it is used to process messages on the command line.
- Using mutt Command.
- Using mailx Command.
- Using mpack Command.
How do I email a text file in Linux?
Syntax to send the content of a text file using mail command
- -s ‘Subject’ : Specify subject on command line.
- [email protected] : To email user.
- /tmp/output. txt : Send the content of /tmp/output.
- -r ‘[email protected]’ : Use fr[email protected] address as the return address when sending mail.
What is the mail command in Unix?
The Mail command in unix or linux system is used to send emails to the users, to read the received emails, to delete the emails etc. Mail command will come in handy especially when writing automated scripts. For example, you have written an automated script for taking weekly backup of oracle database.
How do I email a Unix file?
Method 2 : -a switch in mailx command Type the body of the message here and press [ctrl] + [d] to send. This will attach the file to the outbound email correctly with proper Content-Type and boundary headers. To send mails with a message body, replace /dev/null in above command with your message body file.
How do I install mail on Linux?
How to Install mail command in RHEL/CentOS 7/8
- Step 1: Prerequisites. a)You need to have running RHEL/CentOS 7/8 based Systems.
- Step 2: Update Your System.
- Step 3: Install mail command in Linux.
- Step 4: Check mail command version.
- Step 5: Send a Test email using mail command in Linux.