How do you talk like a fantasy character?
Quick Tips for Writing Fantasy or Historical Dialogue
- Read books from the era you want to emulate. Get a sense of how people really talked then.
- Use “old” language judiciously.
- Don’t mix language types.
- Consider changing your sentence structure rather than your vocabulary.
- Read your work out loud.
Why is my writing so boring?
Boring, dry (usually formulaic) writing arises when the writer uses too many vague, general words and doesn’t vary her sentences. Vague words in general (see what I did there?) don’t engage the reader, and unvaried sentences causes the writing to become predictable. And predictable writing is, well, boring.
How can we prevent bland writing?
Keep your text lean, use flavorful language, and express yourself confidently.
- 1 Begin with lean writing.
- 2 But don’t make it too lean.
- 3 Write with confidence.
- 4 Use powerful words and imagery . . .
- 5 . . . but keep your language simple.
- 6 Emulate other writers you admire.
- 7 Try creative formats.
- 8 Be a storyteller.
How can I make my writing sound better?
11 Smart Tips for Brilliant Writing
- Have something to say. This makes writing easier and faster.
- Be specific. Consider two sentences:
- Choose simple words.
- Write short sentences.
- Use the active voice.
- Keep paragraphs short.
- Eliminate fluff words.
- Don’t ramble.
How do I increase the number of pages?
19 Things Every Student Tries To Make Their Paper Seem Longer Than It Actually Is
- Make sure you included everything you were supposed to.
- Load up on transitional phrases.
- Spell out your numbers.
- Ditch the contractions.
- Make your header way longer than necessary.
- Make your spacing larger.
How do you write an amazing first chapter?
An ideal first chapter should do the following things:
- 1) Introduce the main character.
- 2) Make us care enough to go on a journey with that character.
- 3) Set tone.
- 4) Let us know the theme.
- 5) Let us know where we are.
- 6) Introduce the antagonist.
- 7) Ignite conflict.
How do you start a short story example?
5 Ways to Start a Short Story
- Hook readers with excitement.
- Introduce the lead character.
- Start with dialogue.
- Use memories.
- Begin with a mystery.
What should you not do in fantasy writing?
10 Common Mistakes I See in Epic Fantasy Writing
- Poor Writing.
- Unoriginal Use of Fantasy Clichés.
- Long, Slow Beginnings.
- Too Many Point of View (POV) Characters.
- Indulgent Worldbuilding and Info Dumps.
- Bland, Two-Dimensional Characters.
- Too Much Action, Too Little Story.
- Stereotyping of Female Characters.
How do I make my text longer?
Use more words
- Include “to be” verbs. Avoid saying “I eat quickly.” Try writing, “I am a quick eater.”
- Be more descriptive. Don’t say “We had fun at the fair.” Say “My friend and I went to the fair this weekend.
- Turn verbs into nouns. “I arrived at the conclusion that…” is longer than “I concluded…”